Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reading Comprehension Instruction through Think-Alouds

          The ultimate goal of reading is text comprehension.  "Comprehension involves a series of behaviors" (Tompkins, 2010) by the reader that occur before, during and after reading.  Successful comprehension depends on the "interaction of reader factors and text factors" (Tompkins, 2010).  Comprehension strategies to use before reading include activating prior knowledge and examining the text to uncover its organization.  This can be done by making predictions, responding to a question that will lead into the main topics in the book and previewing the text.  During reading, children can use comprehension strategies such as making connections to one's own experiences, questioning and visualizing.  Lastly, strategies that can be used after reading include drawing inferences and summarizing.
          In order to learn what these behaviors look like and how they can be done, children need a good model, which is the important role a teacher plays in reading instruction.  There should be many opportunities for children to experiment with reading and utilize the strategies they are taught.  One method is through think-alouds during a read aloud lesson or guided reading lesson.  Tompkins states "teachers use think-alouds to demonstrate the monitoring strategy during mini-lessons and when they're reading aloud to students."  Through my think-alouds, I set my expectations of what good readers should do.  I generally have students look at the title and the picture on the cover and ask them to form a prediction.  Sometimes we will even do a picture walk before forming predictions depending on the purpose for reading.  Sometimes I will briefly select students to share their predictions with the class, but once I notice that students are able to make reasonable predictions, I just give them time to think and then I tell them to evaluate whether they need to adjust their prediction as we read.  I am also sure to clearly state our purpose for reading so that students can prepare themselves for a specific focus.  As I read, I often stop to allow my students to make connections to the text and so that I can check for understanding which shows students that they should be making sure that they understand what it is they are reading and if not, we can refer back to the text.  At the end of the story, I may ask clarifying questions or general comprehension questions.
          An article by Reading Rockets entitled "Using Think-Alouds to Improve Reading Comprehension" outlines three components, modeling, coached practice and reflection and corresponding activities to engage students in the reading process.  The author suggests assigning 2 or 3 strategies to different colors of the same object and handing students one of the colored objects and asking them to use the strategy assigned to that color.  I think this is a great visual and kinesthetic way to involve students because I have noticed from my professional experience that children respond well to color codes.  In summary, reading comprehension is a complex process that involves both the reader and the text and it is my job as a teacher to facilitate a relationship between the two.


References 
Farr, R. & Conner, J. (2004). Using think-alouds to improve reading comprehension. Reading
          Rockets. Retrieved from http://www.readingrockets.org/article/102

Tompkins, G.E. (2010). Literacy for the 21st century: A balanced approach (5th ed.). Boston, MA:
          Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina,

    I like the Reading Rockets article and the idea of using an object to represent a think aloud strategy.

    I try to use think alouds, but I don't use any type of methodical approach. Depending on the text I'm reading, I periodically ask my class questions, or I point out a text feature or detail (e.g. bold print or an interesting vocabulary word). I like the idea of making a list of think aloud strategies to enhance comprehension. Using a manipulative to focus on one sounds like an effective way to engage more students. If you try it with your class, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete